Most studies show that the first thing people notice when they meet someone new is how a person smiles. Artists, poets, authors and screenplay writers have all based many stories around the way someone smiles. Some have said that a person’s smile can tell you a lot about the individual. With all the emphasis put on a person’s smile, one cannot blame individuals who are self-conscious about their smile and teeth. Most people want that beautiful, pearly white smile that can stop traffic and light up a room, and many people feel that they do not have it for several reasons. There is a solution for these patients. Veneers are an easy fix for damaged teeth or to cover teeth that are not aesthetically pleasing. For many dental patients the installation of veneers is a simple, quick and uncomplicated option to fix and change the appearance of their smile when they are unhappy.
The two main types of veneers which dentists use today are porcelain veneers and composite veneers. Both of these options have their pros and cons and all dental patients thinking of having veneers installed should weigh them when considering which choice might be better for them. It is important to make sure that your dentist, or a different local dentist, is capable and has all of the qualifications and equipment necessary to install the veneers in the right way. It is important to speak to the dentist who will perform the procedure so that you feel comfortable and know that your smile will become improved after the veneers are installed.
The facts that stand in favor for choosing to have your dentist install porcelain veneers are very convincing. They include:
- Porcelain veneers are much stronger
- They are also much more durable than composite veneers. They are capable of lasting for 10-15 years
- Porcelain veneers provide the patient with a more natural look and have a translucent appearance
- Your top dentist will not have to remove much of your natural tooth, and might not have to remove nothing at all, to place the veneer The porcelain can resist staining
A specific type of porcelain veneers that have become quite popular within the dental community are Lumineers. They have become very popular because:
- They are ultra-thin
- Involve no shots and no drilling of any sensitive tooth structure
- No pain
- Take no more than 2 visits
- Custom made to fit your needs
- Lumineers may last for over 20 years
On the other hand, there are facts that seem to make composite veneers a more likeable choice for some patients. These facts include:
- Composite veneers are much cheaper than porcelain
- They are ideal for small chips that the patient feels need to be covered
- Unlike porcelain veneers, composite veneers can be fitted and placed within one day. Porcelain veneers require at least two visits.
- Composite veneers can be fixed if they are broken. Porcelain veneers need to be completely replaced if they are broken.
Taking these facts into consideration is an important part in making a decision on which type of veneers is better for you. Make sure to discuss it with your dentist as well. If he or she cannot perform the installation of the type of veneers you want then a recommendation for a top cosmetic dentist is necessary to make sure it is done properly. Veneers can be a great way to get you that beautiful smile, the one that lights up the room and is an inspiration to artists everywhere.